Section 811

Section 811 funds are grant funds available to non-profit organizations designed to develop, construct, or rehabilitate rental housing with supportive services for very low-income persons with disabilities.

Types of Housing Included
Small group homes, condominiums and cooperative housing, dwelling units in multi-family housing developments, and independent living projects.

Funds may be used to construct, rehabilitate, or acquire structures.

The Section 811 program allows persons with disabilities to live independently by increasing the supply of rental housing with supportive services and related facilities. The program also allows the sponsor to get project rental assistance, which can cover any part of the HUD-approved operating costs of the facility that is not met from project income. In order to live in Section 811 housing, a household which may consist of a single qualified person must be very low-income (within 50 percent of the median income for the area) and at least one member must be 18 years old or older and have a disability, such as a physical or developmental disability or chronic mental illness. 

For more information on the Section 811 program, click here for the HUD website.

The Section 822 program is also available offering grants for interest-free capital advances for non-profit sponsors, to help them finance the development of rental housing with supportive services for persons with disabilities. The capital advance can finance the construction or rehabilitation of supportive housing. (Note: Does not have to be paid back if housing is retained for that particular population for 40 years.)

For more information regarding the above, contact the Department of Housing and Urban Development Continuum of Care at (865) 545-4391.

For additional assistance, please contact the Creating Homes Initiative (CHI) Regional Housing Facilitator (RHF) in your area.